version 1.29, June 26, 2022
version 1.27, September 12, 2019
version 1.26, March 28, 2019
version 1.25, November 17, 2017
version 1.2, July 20, 2016
version 1.0, February 2, 2016
iOS 10 or later required
Looking for Android?
Modern Classics is the first independent, critical assessment of the original drinks of these recent decades, compiled by New York Times drinks writer, journalist and author Robert Simonson. This brutally honest collection identifies, justifies and presents the authoritative, verified and properly attributed recipes in four categories: the modern classics, the objectively popular drinks that might yet achieve that status, certain drinks identified as critical favorites worthy of more attention, plus a collection of foundational recipes from the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s that helped set the stage for today’s cocktail renaissance.
- Over 100 meticulously researched recipes (full list of included recipes), to be gradually expanded in the future, as appropriate
- The best of the best
- Search recipes by base spirit, cocktail-type and date of creation
- Check off the ingredients you’ve got and this app will show you which drinks you can make!
- Filter the recipes on multiple criteria with just a few taps
- Ingredient definitions included
- Display measurements in ounces, centiliters, milliliters, or gills
- Works the same as our five-star apps PDT Cocktails, Beachbum Berry’s Total Tiki and Martin’s Index
- Universal app, works nearly identically on both phone and tablet
A perfect companion to Modern Classics is Robert Simonson’s book, A Proper Drink: The Untold Story of How a Band of Bartenders Saved the Civilized Drinking World. This book is the first serious attempt to tell the story of today’s Cocktail Renaissance: